Pages

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Inspirations!

Two questions so many people (especially youth leaders) ask which I have always found incredibly difficult to answer:
1. What are three interesting facts about yourself?
2. What/ who are your inspirations?

Now this first one I think most people struggle with, it is, for me anyway, the dreaded ice breaker question. You have under a minute to sift through your brain for 3 facts that might be of the slightest interest to the people you are surrounded by. I have just struggled to come up with 3 over a few days on one of the reply forms for Step in Latin America, never mind when I am under pressure and have little time, while being watched by a group of judging eyes. However this second one, I struggle to do the opposite, I struggle to narrow it down to specific people or things... I feel that too many people have inspired me to choose just a few!

So I've had a little think about my inspirations in life in general, and, more specifically for this post; the things that i believed inspired my passion to be a missionary in Latin America.
  • The first obvious influence on me wanting to go to Latin America was a book I read when I was 8/9 called 'A Cry from the Streets' by Jeannette Lukasse. It is about a Christian couple that go to brazil and help street kids. I have no idea why I read this book or how I managed it at that age but I have always felt it was God that set it deep in my heart.
  • Other influences on this desire to go, have been Margaret Saunderson, a family friend and lady I know through church, who has been living in Peru as a missionary and has always encouraged me to visit her and has always told me great stories of her work there.
  • Also my mother, has done a fair bit of travelling to disadvantaged communities in places like; Colombia, Peru, Nicaragua and Honduras. She is an incredibly caring person and so it is easy for me to say that she has definitely been a huge part in making me want to do similar things.
  • Lastly my uncle, I have always seen as a brave and wise man, travels all around the world, but mainly focuses his time in Hong Kong at the moment. I recently visited him and his family and learnt more about what he and his wife have done and are doing, which I find truly inspiring!
So there you are, I think these have been the main influences and inspirations for my desire to be a missionary in Latin America. Woohoo!

Muchas gracias
Roxy x

Help a sister out? 😘 www.virginmoneygiving.com/RoxannaSmith
Facebook event page: Latin American Quiz Night!!!

2 comments:

  1. Im gunna read that book...you have inspired me and you will many others in latin america no doubt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome to borrow it :) love ya! X

      Delete