Pages

Sunday 26 January 2014

In the moment

'In the moment' or 'At the time' your brain doesn't seem to function as logically or as well compared to when you are looking back on the event. Whether that is due to the pressure or not being able to think on the spot, I haven't a clue... I am pretty sure that I cannot be the only one that ends up looking back on situations and thinking ' I should have said...', 'I could have done....' 'I didn't have to....'

Just today there is the perfect example:
I was telling my manager that I was planning to leave my job, I had written the resignation letter just in case and had prepared the perfect speech.... I woke up worrying, I got on the bus worrying, I walked through busy Merry Hill worrying. What if she gets annoyed with me, what if the staff all go moody with me, what if i havent told her in time? What if? What if? What if?!?



As I waited for her anxiously, I tried to catch my breath (from dashing through the shopping centre). When she walked in and I went to do my perfect speech. No words came out of my mouth. Instead I mumbled 'here is a uhm, the uhm letter for you...'. I could feel my voice shaking and then out of nerves I started spilling out a huge jumble of words that I really do hope made sense. She got my point and was absolutely fine with my decision! She understood and although was disappointed I had to leave she was happy for me! I think I must have been holding my breath the whole time I was waiting for her full response as once she had finished talking I sighed the biggest sigh of relief.

Anyway, looking back I could have dealt with it so much more cooler and been so much more collected, I could have worried a lot less and I could have been a lot more relaxed about it. However as I said at the start 'in the moment' it is rather difficult to take a step back from yourself and think logically.

I pray that in future God will help me think more logically in the moment and help me to worry less.

Any tips on how to deal with these moments??

Muchas Gracias
Roxy x

1 comment:

  1. Well done girl! Sometimes those moments when you mumble and jumble and on the spot moments are those times you show your true self...heart...emotions and I think its ok to not be a perfect speaker. Eg paul the apostle. Your manager would of seen the worry you had and how much cared about your work as opposed to im not botherered. So try not to change those moments embrace them exactly how you are x

    ReplyDelete